What is it?
The eyes are frequently where the face shows its first or most drastic signs of aging. Typical changes that occur include drooping of the eyebrow, excessive fullness or sagging of the upper lid, and lower eyelid bags. Eyelid surgery or “blepharoplasty” addresses these characteristics to give the patient a more youthful and refreshed appearance. It may involve changes to the skin, underlying fat tissue, or both.
Who is a candidate?
- A healthy patient with no significant medical problems
- A patient displeased with any of the following eyelid features:
- Excess or droopy skin
- Sagging eyelid
- Prominent lower eyelid bags
The procedure is performed while the patient receives intravenous sedation unless performed in conjunction with other procedures such as a facelift or rhinoplasty.
- Upper eyelids:
- external incisions which typically heal with little to no scar
- direct excision of excess skin
- sagging upper lids or eyelid “ptosis” can also be addressed at the time of surgery
- Lower eyelids:
- either external or internal (hidden) incisions may be used
- fat pads can be excised or repositioned depending on the patient’s anatomy
- skin excess can also be addressed
- Outpatient surgery
- Result: Immediate; may experience variable degree of swelling which completely resolves by 1-2 weeks
- Pain: Minimal. Over the counter pain medicine is often sufficient
- Special garment: None
- Drain removal: No drains
- Suture removal: Sutures removed at 5-7 days
- Activity/Shower/Driving restriction: No restriction on daily activity. Encouraged to walk. May shower the day after surgery. No lifting greater than 10 pounds for 2 weeks. Assuming no visual impairment from swelling or pain medicine requirement, may drive 1-2 days after surgery. No strenuous activity/heavy lifting for 4 weeks.
- Time off work: May return to work within a week depending on job demands.
- Follow-up: You will be seen In office following surgery at 1 week, 2 weeks, 6 weeks, and 3 months or as needed
If you would like to learn more about eyelid surgery, please fill out our contact form and we will be happy to assist you! Alternatively, you can call to schedule a consultation to see Dr. Galanis in Beverly Hills at 310-858-8930 or in Chicago at 844-GALANIS (844-425-2647).