What is it?
Microneedling is a treatment that was first introduced in the early 2000s. After numbing the skin, Dr. Galanis uses a microneedling device to make tiny holes in the skin. These microscopic wounds serve two purposes:
- To stimulate the body’s own healing mechanism which includes the production of collagen. Collagen, which decreases with aging, is a crucial building block of firm and radiant skin.
- To allow better penetration of products designed to rejuvenate skin (such as specially designed skin rejuvenating serums, platelet rich plasma also known as “PRP”, etc.)
It is important to draw the distinction between microneedling performed by Dr. Galanis and the commercially available “dermarollers” that can be used by patients at home or by aestheticians. Commerically available dermarollers generally only penetrate to a depth of 0.5mm or less. The device used by Dr. Galanis can achieve depths up to 2.5mm. This greater depth leads to greater efficacy – a fact which has been supported by scientific study. Dr. Galanis performs all micro needling procedures himself so that he can customize each treatment to the patient’s goals and skin type.
PRP AND THE “VAMPIRE FACIAL”
As referenced above, PRP can be combined with microneedling for what has been termed the “vampire facial.” A small amount of blood is drawn from the patient and the PRP is isolated for use. PRP contains high concentrations of stem cells, growth factors, and platelets. Traditionally this has been used in used in other areas of medicine such as orthopedic surgery to help speed healing. Now it is being applied to cosmetic dermatology to rejuvenate and heal damaged or aging skin by stimulating collagen and elastin. It is therefore the ideal companion to microneedling which can help deliver the PRP to where it is most effective: deep into the skin.
After drawing blood, the plasma (straw-colored fluid above) is isolated
WHO IS A CANDIDATE?
Microneedling can be used for all skin types although should be avoided in patients with extensive acne. Benefits include:
- Improve fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduce acne scars
- Soften or reduce stretch marks
- Even skin tone
- Decrease sun spots or other areas of darkened skin
- Reduce the appearance of pores
- Smooth and firm skin texture
- Scar treatment
Microneedling is NOT intended for:
A numbing cream is first applied to the face and given 10-20 minutes to take maximum effect. For patients who elect for PRP treatment, blood is drawn. This blood is then placed in a centrifuge to isolate the platelet rich plasma for use. For patients who decline PRP, a skin serum with skin nutrients is used during the treatment. The microneedling is then performed and typically takes 20-30 minutes depending on area treated. The duration of the procedure is the same whether PRP or skin serum is used.
Dr. Galanis performing a microneedling treatment
in his Beverly Hills office.
- Results: Galanis recommends a minimum of 3 treatements spaced apart by at least 4 weeks for optimum effect although benefits can be appreciated after a single treatment. As we age, maintenance therapy may also be appropriate.
- Recovery: Expect 2-3 days of redness in treated areas. Makeup/concealer may be applied the day after treatment.
- Pain: Minimals; topical creams are used routinely.
- Activity/Shower/Driving restrictions: No restrictions
- Time off work: May return to work immediately
- Follow-up: Galanis personalizes the follow-up plan based on the treatment plan.
If you would like to learn more about microneedling or “Vampire Facial” treatments, please fill out our contact form and we will be happy to assist you! Alternatively, you can call to schedule a consultation to see Dr. Galanis in Beverly Hills (310-858-8930). This service is not available at the Chicago location.