When you become a mom, many different aspects of your life are going to change forever, but your shape doesn’t have to be one of them. A mommy makeover is a fantastic way to help restore you pre-baby body, but while you only have to undergone one recovery period, the combination of procedures involved in the makeover means that you will be waiting for various areas of your body to heal. While the thought of the recovery process may be daunting and somewhat overwhelming, you can actually recover from a mommy makeover much quicker than you probably expect.
Exactly what is included in a mommy makeover can vary between cosmetic surgeons, but packages typically include three core procedures. These are:
A tummy tuck. The abdomen is the area of the body that changes the most when you become a mom and some women simply can’t regain their pre-pregnancy shape no matter how hard they tried. This procedure is designed to eliminate excess fat and skin on the abdomen and realign the underlying muscles so that the patient can enjoy a smoother, flatter stomach area.
A breast lift/enlargement. The breasts also undergo some serious changes during pregnancy and, if you choose to breastfeed, your child’s earliest months and years. Many women are left feeling unsatisfied with the shape, size and positioning of their breasts. Fortunately, a lift and/or enlargement can rectify these issues and leave you with full, feminine and younger-looking breasts.
Liposuction. Virtually everybody has some areas of stubborn fat that just won’t shift regardless of how hard you try. Whether it is clinging to your hips, buttocks, thighs or somewhere else entirely, liposuction can eliminate isolated pockets of fat and streamline your silhouette.
Since all three of these procedures are fairly major surgeries and you can expect to experience wounds on your abdomen, breasts and other core areas of your body, you are probably wondering what you can do to speed up the recovery process and start getting back to your usual routine.
Here are our tips for a faster recovery from your mommy makeover.
Follow your mommy makeover preparation guidelines
One of the most important things that you can do is to properly prepare for your surgery. This will help increase the likelihood of your procedures being straightforward and without complications which could potentially slow your recovery.
Important preparation steps include:
- Quit smoking. If you can’t give up altogether, you should avoid smoking for at least a few weeks either side of your surgery. This is because it has been shown to delay healing and put patients at greater risk of post-surgical complications.
- Avoid certain medications. Some prescription drugs thin the blood and increase your risk of bleeding and bruising, and these should be avoided before and after your mommy makeover. Some common culprits include aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications. Our surgeon will be able to let you know exactly which drugs you should avoid.
- Stick to a healthy diet and limit your alcohol intake in the months ahead of your surgery. This will help ensure you are as healthy as possible when you go under the knife. Alcohol should be entirely avoided for at least 72 hours before and after your mommy makeover.
Prepare for your recovery
You will already know that you will need to be off your feet and resting sufficiently for some time after your mommy makeover, and the more you can do to make sure you can get the appropriate rest the better. This could mean a number of things including:
- Taking time off of work.
- Scheduling time away from any strenuous activity you might usually do such as Zumba or running.
- Arranging childcare and/or help with school drop offs and pick-ups.
- Arranging a cleaner or someone to help with housework.
- Stocking up on groceries.
- Filling any regular prescriptions ahead of your surgery.
The more organized you are, the more relaxed you will feel when you return home, and this will help you recuperate and heal.
Follow the aftercare instructions given by our surgeon
This is one step that is absolutely crucial. Patients often start out with good intentions but within a few days of going home, their resolve to stick to the medication and wound maintenance quickly falters. However, the guidelines given to you by our surgeon are provided because they give you the best chance at making a faster and complication-free recovery. Therefore, you should wear any compression garments provided, take your pain medications and any other prescribed drugs at the allotted time and dosage regardless of whether you think you need them, and follow the instructions for keeping your wounds clean and when you can start moving around and getting back to normal.
Our surgeon will provide you with very specific pre and post-surgery instructions for your mommy makeover. If you want to enjoy a straightforward procedure, a fast recovery and outstanding results, you must take the time to follow them. Contact us to schedule an appointment.