What is it?
Breast lift or mastopexy works by removing excess skin in the breast and remodeling the deep tissue to raise the breast for a more youthful appearance. In addition to aging, breasts may sag due to pregnancy, history of breast-feeding, or weight fluctuations. Often times, patients have had lower hanging breasts since their breasts first developed at puberty. By itself, a breast lift can not only restore the breast height but also increase fullness of the upper breast. However, some women choose to combine breast lift surgery with breast augmentation to obtain additional size and volume in the “perkier” breast.
Who is a candidate?
- A healthy patient who is a non-smoker (>4 weeks)
- A patient displeased with lower-hanging or asymmetric breast(s)
The surgery can be performed under IV sedation or general anesthesia. There are multiple options for breast lift surgery. The choice of incisions is governed largely by the degree of lift required and will be discussed with Dr. Galanis as part of your consultation. These incisions are typically located around the areola in a concentric pattern, vertically down from the areola to the breast crease, or horizontally at the breast crease (see below). As a general rule, the more lift that is required, the more involved the incision pattern. Depending on patient goals, an implant may be placed at the same time as a lift.
- Outpatient Surgery
- Result: Immediate
- Pain: Variable. Oral pain medicine may be needed for up to 7-10 days
- Special garment: A compression bra will be provided and should be worn for 2 weeks. A sports bra may be worn beginning at 2 weeks. A wire bra may not be worn until at least 4 weeks postoperatively.
- Drain removal: Rarely placed; if placed typically removed by 1 week.
- Suture removal: All sutures are dissolvable
- Activity/Shower/Driving restriction: No restriction on daily activity. Encouraged to walk. May shower 2 days after surgery. No lifting greater than 10 pounds for 2 weeks. May drive when no longer requiring narcotic pain medication. No strenuous activity/heavy lifting for 6 weeks.
- Time off work: Expect to require 1-2 weeks off of work depending on job demands.
- Follow-up: You will be seen in office following surgery at 1 week, 2 weeks, 6 weeks, and 3 months or as needed
If you would like to learn more about breast lift surgery, please fill out our contact form and we will be happy to assist you! Alternatively, you can call to schedule a consultation to see Dr. Galanis in Beverly Hills at 310-858-8930 or in Chicago at 844-GALANIS (844-425-2647).