What is it?
Genital rejuvenation is a catch-all term encompassing different procedures for the labia minora, labia majora, as well as vaginal canal. Whether since birth or acquired over time, the appearance of the labia as well as stretching of the vagina can cause distress to many women and may even be symptomatic. Vaginoplasty is a procedure that aims to “tighten up” the vagina, which may have stretched due to childbirth, aging, or both. Labiaplasty is a procedure that alters the size and/or shape of the labia or “lips” of the vagina to make them more aesthetically pleasing and symmetric and in some cases to resolve symptoms of skin irritation.
Who is a candidate?
Healthy women who are displeased with:
- Prominent or asymmetric labia
- Stretched or dilated vaginal canal
The procedure may be performed under local anesthesia, IV/conscious sedation, or general anesthesia. Depending on the patient’s anatomy, there are various methods to address the patient’s concerns. Methods include one or more of the following:
- Direct excision
- Fat grafting
- Tightening of the vaginal canal
- Outpatient Surgery
- Result: Immediate
- Pain: Variable. Oral pain medicine may be needed for 4-7 days
- Special garment: None
- Drain removal: None
- Suture removal: All sutures are dissolvable
- Activity/Shower/Driving restriction: Encouraged to walk immediately. Icing area for 1-2 days. It is OK to drive if not requiring any pain medicine (typically within a few days). No vigorous activity for 6 weeks. Strict pelvic rest (no intercourse or tampon usage) for 6 weeks.
- Time off work: Expect to require no more than 1 week off of work depending on job demands.
- Follow-up: You will be seen in office following surgery at 1 week, 2 weeks, 6 weeks, and 3 months, and 6 months or as needed
If you would like to learn more about genital rejuvenation procedures, please fill out our contact form and we will be happy to assist you! Alternatively, you can call to schedule a consultation to see Dr. Galanis in Beverly Hills at 310-858-8930 or in Chicago at 844-GALANIS (844-425-2647).